xml-general mailing list archives

From Neeraj Bajaj <Neeraj.Ba...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: No ICLA for some authors in Sun's JAXP 1.3 donation
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 05:22:24 GMT

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2005, at 10:20 PM, Jeff Suttor wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 07:33 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> What I would do is just remove the names from the code, and in the
>>> commit message, note that you are removing as they are internal Sun
>>> committers, that their work was done at Sun before the contribution was
>>> made, and you are removing them to eliminate the confusion that arose.
>>

>> I would prefer that my @author stay intact.
>> I have just sent in an ICLA.
>

> It doesn't matter for this case - the existence of the author tags
> reflects work that happened before the software was donated to Apache,
> so from a legal standpoint, it's moot.  I know this may come across as
> harsh, and I don't mean to be - the use of author tags is a community
> issue (and a generally contentious one!)  and one that the ASF board
> has recommended against.  However it is up to the individual project
> to decide how author tags are handled.

My opinion would be not to remove the author tag. Author tag shows the
contribution of a person and is a good contact point in case any one
needs to clarifiy certain behavior. Actually it would be good if Jeff
can be made a committer as part of the code grant because of his
contribution in so many files. His becoming committer  would also be
good for the ASF project and the community.

- Neeraj