xml-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:51:38 GMT

On Apr 6, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Brian Minchau wrote:

> Geir,
> I could contact IBM legal if need be. I'm not in any legal department,
> just looking at this from my role as a member of the Xalan PMC.
>
> Now that the CCLAs that you mention are signed, does it  mean that ASF
> doesn't have to ever have to worry again about individial CLAs signed
> by
> IBM or Sun employees, either in the past or in the future?

No.  Any committer, covered by a CCLA or not, *must* sign a ICLA.
That's what really matters to us.  The original intent of the CCLA is
to ensure that an individual committer can be assured that their
employer is aware and approves, which really is protection for the
committer.

Just having a CCLA doesn't absolve the individual from needing an ICLA.

That said, the new CCLA is a bit confusing, as it can also be used for
a software grant, which is exactly what was done in this case.

In summary, the ICLA is required of any committer.

> Perhaps in the future, new IBM or Sun employees could become Apache
> committers without the need to sign individual CLAs. Is that correct?

No. :)

geir

geir@gluecode.com