xml-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:29:58 GMT

On Apr 6, 2005, at 5:25 PM, Brian Minchau wrote:

> My understanding is that Sun is signing a CCLA for their contribution
> of
> JAXP 1.3.

yes.  it's really a software grant, in effect.

> I presume that like any code, the JAXP 1.3 code will have bugs, and
> will
> develop over time, and will need fixes by someone. In the short term
> that
> would most likely be Sun employees.  As a Xalan PMC member it is my
> responsibility to verify the pedigree of contributions before accepting
> changes into the code base.
>
> Are individual people listed in the CCLA that Sun is signing?

No.

> If so, then
> how can I find out who is listed, so that I can feel more confident
> about
> accepting further contributions. Looking at
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt I don't think that
> individuals are listed.

yes, there's a bit of a mess there (need to fix the site).  Sun signed
the same CCLA that IBM signed for Derby, which is a CCLA and
simultaneous grant.  So they are using it for the grant part.

>   Also, in the past there seems to be some code that was contributed to
> Apache by Sun employees who were committers, but who have never signed
> CLA. I think that at that time CCLAs did not exist. So I find the
> phrase in
> the CCLA most interesting:
>    "Your "Contributions" means all of your past, present and future
> contributions ..."
>
>> From reading that CCLA form it looks like all past, present and future
> contributions of all Sun employees have their licensing rights given
> to the
> ASF, unless the contributions were donated with "Not a contribution" or
> some other conspicuous, but similar phrase.  If this is true then I
> feel
> better about past contributions by people who were Sun employees at
> that
> time, and who have never signed a CLA.

There are no people listed.  I'll be happy to fax you a copy if that
helps.  IBM legal has the document - it's the same that they used for
Derby and the recent JSR-105 contribution.

geir

geirm@apache.org