xml-general mailing list archives

From Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2004 03:30:27 GMT
Hi all,

Berin Lautenbach <berin@wingsofhermes.org> wrote on 10/13/2004 06:59:22
PM:

> I'm assuming that this is something that XML-Commons/Xerces/Xalan wish
> to do?

Here's a +1 from someone who's committed to Xerces-J and xml-commons.  If
either project didn't want to move up to the latest standard API's, that
sure would be an interesting situation.  :)

> If that's the case, then I don't think we need to go through the full
> incubation process (Noel - thoughts appreciated!) - we only need a code
> grant from Sun (we can't take something into our repository until we are

> sure we have appropriate legal rights to do so) + someone needs to fill
> out the incubation docs to show that everything is AOK.

As I've argued before, it seems to me that this is a case where some
Apache committers have simply gone away for a while, developed some code
based on the Apache projects to which they have commit privileges, and now
have reached a point where they can commit the code back.  It's not a case
where a new component is being added; simply where a rather large update
is being undertaken.

But I'm no lawyer, so I have no allusions that this argument will actually
count for anything.  :)  But given the apparent unanimity in the
communities about this being a good thing, and the fact this thread's been
pretty quiet the last couple of days, it would be nice to get some status
on when the granting/incubating formalities might be done with.

Cheers!
Neil