xml-general mailing list archives

From Ramesh Mandava <Ramesh.Mand...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Donation of JAXP 1.3 Sources to Apache
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:08:22 GMT
Hi Shane:

>A couple of comments:
>- Please cc: commons-dev@xml.apache.org, since xml-commons is the
>actual repository that holds the JAXP code.
>
>- Yay!  Great progress all, both Xerces/Xalan folks for coordinating,
>and Sun folks for getting the process unstuck.  8-)
>
>- Both Elliotte's and Clay's questions below are important.  If someone
>familiar with the code could comment on:  For either the main trunk, or
>a temporary working branch for integration:
>
>-- What JVM's will this code compile on?  Version/Vendors?

   J2SE 1.4.x,  J2SE 5.0 . We tried this on Sun JDKs but the same
sources should run on  other JVMs as well.

>-- What JVM's will this code run on?  Version/Vendors?

J2SE 1.3.x, J2SE 1.4.x,  J2SE 5.0. Again we qualified the sources on Sun
JVM. But as there is no Sun JVM specific codem these  sources should
work on other JVMs without modification ( we have to try it out though
:-) ).

>We need to *clearly* document which versions this stuff works on, and
>should conditionally compile or something if it won't compile on at
>least 1.3

Right now we face compilation problems in couple of file with J2SE 1.3,
but these should be worked around though. We can atleast have a switch
to achieve the requirement  of compiling on J2SE 1.3.

>(since we still have a lot of older JDK version users here).
>
>My knee-jerk reaction is also to hope that it will compile & run on
>both recent Sun and IBM JVMs at least before we put this on the main
>trunk: we should really try to be JVM-vendor agnostic.

I agree.

Regards
-Ramesh