xml-general mailing list archives

From "Peter B. West" <pbw...@tpg.com.au>
Subject Re: Voting a PMC chair
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:29:00 GMT
Jeremias has expressed the conviction that a number of elements of the
current FOP and Batik subprojects should be factored out into new
subprojects with definite and well-defined goals.  I am in full, though
recent, agreement with this approach.  Jeremias believes that new
committers can be attracted to work in XML Graphics on such tightly
defined subprojects.  I agree with him on this.

One wonders, however, whether the Board will then require the XML
Graphics subprojects to become TLPs.  One wonders, also, whether the
Board will be able to develop solutions to the licensing difficulties
that have plagued both Batik and FOP.  It seems to me that mixed-licence
environments are a fact of Open Source life, and the sooner we develop
mechanisms for dealing with this, the better.

Peter