xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: XMLBeans and the XML Federation
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:07:32 GMT
Cliff,

Speaking as a member of the XML PMC, I'm happy with whatever way fits
best for the XMLBeans community (I see this as fundamentally a community
question).

To put in perspective, I'm now seeing the XML Federation as :

1.  a way to share and co-operate between related projects;
2.  a place to hold the small pieces of glue that hold together the
other XML related projects (e.g. XML-Commons); and
3.  a place to build up smaller projects until they are comfortable
becoming fully fledged projects.

So if you feel like you fit into 3 I'd support bringing you in under XML
until you are ready to move out.  Given the XML PMC has voted to do that
in the past, I'd be surprised if there were any significant difference
in opinion on that amongst the XML PMC.  But it would *not* be a
permanent thing.

However, if as a community you would prefer to be "masters of your own
destiny" right from the start, then go to TLP!  I'm also happy to help
out making that happen.

Speaking as a member of the Incubator PMC, I'd want to have a level of
comfort that the community has the "critical mass" necessary to go to
TLP and that the sponsors felt that this made sense.  I think that's
true, but I think it needs to be validated for form's sake.

I'd be interested in input from Steven and Ted - particularly on the
last point.

Cheers,
	Berin