xml-general mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cli...@apache.org>
Subject XMLBeans and the XML Federation
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 07:36:30 GMT
Berin (and everyone else at XML with an opinion),

Based on the post below, I think it's time to discuss the best
post-incubation path for XMLBeans.  It appears that both the XMLBeans and
Incubator communities may be ready to vote for XMLBeans to graduate from
Incubation.  So my first question is:
Do you (and the rest of the XML PMC) agree we should go ahead with this
now?

The other issue is where XMLBeans lives after incubation.  It seems that
becoming a TLP associated with the XML Federation would be consistent with
the direction of other sizeable XML projects.  I understand the
rationale behind having a PMC composed of people with enough oversight
of the project's code base to be able to protect the interests of the
ASF.
Do you agree this makes sense for the ASF?

Finally, if XMLBeans is to become a TLP, what do you think about the
difference between graduating directly into a TLP vs. into an XML
subproject and then asking the Board for a resolution forming a new TLP?
I've actually already used your Xerces Board resolution as a template for
XMLBeans.  So I could propose a vote to go directly to a TLP today, if
that seemed like the right thing to do.  See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org&msgNo=10.

Shall we use this resolution (after filling in names of PMC members) to go
right to a vote to leave Incubation and propose a new TLP to the board, or
shall we just move into the XML project and deal with the TLP issue later?

Thanks,
Cliff