xml-general mailing list archives

From Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects
Date Thu, 06 May 2004 14:46:05 GMT

Hi Andy,

>> The idea of subprojects being simultaneously projects with their own
>> subprojects looks like a terminal terminological disaster to me.  :)

> That's because you keep referring to Xerces-J as a sub-project.

That's because that's what it would technically be if something just called
"Xerces" were a TLP (top-level project).

> Perhaps it would be easier
> to start by defining what we want to ship and then work backwards
> from there.

Sounds good.  So far, we only ship archives containing jars, DLL's and
source code that directly relate to XML parsing with standard interfaces.
What additionally would you like to be able to throw into the mix?

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

                      Andy Clark

                      <andy@cyberneko.n        To:       xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org

                      et>                      cc:       general@xml.apache.org, pmc@xml.apache.org,
xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
                                               Subject:  Re: [VOTE]:  motion to transform
Xerces into a top-level project as a member
                      05/05/2004 05:26          of the "federation" of XML projects

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      pmc

Neil Graham wrote:
> The idea of subprojects being simultaneously projects with their own
> subprojects looks like a terminal terminological disaster to me.  :)

That's because you keep referring to Xerces-J as a sub-project.
I see Xerces-J as "The Xerces Project in Java".

> Perhaps what we need to get beyond this is the concept of products that
> Robert was mentioning exist in other Apache projects.  If we said that
the
> given parser subprojects might have multiple products, where products
could
> include parsers and components closely tied to parsing, would that solve
> the problem?

Not really. Although the term "product" is a little clearer in
that it refers to a shipped entity. Perhaps it would be easier

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org