xml-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects
Date Tue, 04 May 2004 21:38:06 GMT
On 4 May 2004, at 19:09, Andy Clark wrote:
> Berin Lautenbach wrote:

<snip>

>> You'll have to pardon me here - what were the exact issues you had
>> with the charter?  I think there was a piece around top level code
>> base?
>
> Very simply: the draft charter defined Xerces sub-projects
> as parser implementations in different languages. And it had
> no allowance for sub-projects for a particular parser impl.
>
> I don't see any problem with have a PMC that deals with all
> Xerces implementations but still considering the different
> implementations "projects" with their own sub-projects. For
> example, Xerces-J could have an HTML sub-project with the
> HTML DOM implementation and an HTML parser built from the
> Xerces framework. But the draft charter was explicit about
> defining a sub-project as an XML parser implementation in a
> particular language.

IMHO sub-projects are at the root of most of the difficulties over in
jakarta-land.

it's much better to have a single community (corresponding to a
sub-project) with several products (for example the different parser
implementations) than many sub-projects. there might be parts of each
community that focus most on different products but sharing the same
infrastructure help ideas to be exchanged and potential problems picked
up early. (jakarta commons has a score or more of products but the
single community model has helped to make it a real success.)

- robert