xml-general mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <grm7...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Batik and FOP - how to proceed
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 12:24:26 GMT
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
>> Both Vincent and Thomas are practically unavailable
>> right now. How do we handle the Batik side for new PMC? Any idea,
>> Thomas,
>> when and if you can get back to the project?
>

> If we cannot keep Batik going - then leave it in XML while we sort it
> out.

I'm assuming that both of you are aware that Thomas has suspended his
participation in Batik[1] until he gets some clarifications to the
Apache 2.0 License.  Berin, is someone in the process of answering those
concerns?  He's been the most active committer for the past several
months--so we should probably wait on Batik's status until these issues
are resolved.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=batik-users&m=108366487432766&w=2

>> I'd personally have as many people on the new PMC as possible even if it
>> means having more FOP people on it than Batik people. But having only
>> two (or less) on the PMC from the Batik side seems not to be a good
>> thing.
>>
>> Any ideas how to proceed? Opinions? I'm out of ideas right now. After
>> all, we have to finish reorganizing the XML project sooner or later,
>> right?
>

> I'm a big one for "just do it" :>.
>
> I think the key thing is decide on Batik.  If Batik looks too
> difficult, then let's just drop it for now.  I'm sure it can be added
> into the XML Graphics TLP at such a time as it makes sense.
> Alternatively - if Vincent and whoever else is comfortable - then lets
> just move it in!
>
> Then it's just a matter of filling out PMC names, having all those
> people vote in a chair and presenting the resolution to the board.
>
> Cheers,
>     Berin

I think we should do this in an orderly fashion--take care of Xerces
first, then Xalan, then FOP will be the third project to leave the
nest.  When it is our turn, we'll have a vote internally on the FOP-DEV
list whether to form (a) our own TLP or (b) an XML Graphics one that
will assume a future union with the Batik project.

Glen