xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: Batik and FOP - how to proceed
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 03:42:05 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I'd like to make another attempt to push the XML Graphics idea a bit.
> We're at a stage where we'd have to gather the candidates for the new
> PMC. That's where it gets complicated. Obviously, Batik is practically
> in a stand-still. Both Vincent and Thomas are practically unavailable
> right now. How do we handle the Batik side for new PMC? Any idea, Thomas,
> when and if you can get back to the project? I know Vincent will try to
> help out on the transition of Batik into the XML Graphics umbrella, but
> it feels like a dump right now. The FOP team will most likely not be
> able to maintain the project.

If we cannot keep Batik going - then leave it in XML while we sort it out.

> I'd personally have as many people on the new PMC as possible even if it
> means having more FOP people on it than Batik people. But having only
> two (or less) on the PMC from the Batik side seems not to be a good
> thing.
>
> Any ideas how to proceed? Opinions? I'm out of ideas right now. After
> all, we have to finish reorganizing the XML project sooner or later,
> right?

I'm a big one for "just do it" :>.

I think the key thing is decide on Batik.  If Batik looks too difficult,
then let's just drop it for now.  I'm sure it can be added into the XML
Graphics TLP at such a time as it makes sense.  Alternatively - if
Vincent and whoever else is comfortable - then lets just move it in!

Then it's just a matter of filling out PMC names, having all those
people vote in a chair and presenting the resolution to the board.

Cheers,
	Berin