xml-general mailing list archives

From Vincent Hardy <Vincent.Ha...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Batik and FOP - how to proceed
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 08:14:11 GMT
Hi Jeremias,

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>I'd like to make another attempt to push the XML Graphics idea a bit.
>We're at a stage where we'd have to gather the candidates for the new
>PMC. That's where it gets complicated. Obviously, Batik is practically
>in a stand-still. Both Vincent and Thomas are practically unavailable
>right now. How do we handle the Batik side for new PMC? Any idea, Thomas,
>when and if you can get back to the project? I know Vincent will try to
>help out on the transition of Batik into the XML Graphics umbrella, but
>it feels like a dump right now.

Sorry to see you interpret things this way. I'll do my best to help out.
I have spent enough of my life on Batik that I would not just dump it
:-), but there are only so many hours in a day. I hope someone else can
step up and represent Batik on the XML Graphics PMC.

>The FOP team will most likely not be
>able to maintain the project.

Yes, I agree we need someone who is more dedicated to Batik.

>I'd personally have as many people on the new PMC as possible even if it
>means having more FOP people on it than Batik people. But having only
>two (or less) on the PMC from the Batik side seems not to be a good
>thing.

Do people on the PMC need to be commiters? If so, then the options for
Batik are going to be pretty limited.

>Any ideas how to proceed? Opinions? I'm out of ideas right now. After
>all, we have to finish reorganizing the XML project sooner or later,
>right?

What do you think needs to happen for the formation of the new PMC
(apart from finding volunteers)? What will people need to do: set up a
new project repositiory? set-up/moderate mailing lists? And what do you
expect the changes to be for FOP and Batik, for commiters, developers
and users? For example, will there be web site changes, release changes
etc..?

Thanks,
Vincent.