xml-general mailing list archives

From Alberto Massari <amass...@progress.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: motion to transform Xerces into a top-level project as a member of the "federation" of XML projects
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:17:21 GMT
At 20.05 29/04/2004 +1000, Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>Any thoughts - not just from Xerces, but others as well?  We have one
>month to the board meeting where we need to say what we are doing in this
>space.
>
>We either need to make this happen (and thus recognise that
>Xerces/Xalan/etc are already acting as TLPs), or we need to look at how
>the XML PMC is going to more effectively oversite the "sub-projects".
>
>I *really* don't want to head down the latter path, as it means the XML
>PMC is going to have to start getting involved in code changes and
>releases for all the sub-projects.

Hi Berin,
can you elaborate on the consequences of this change? At least for me it's
not completely clear what it means. This is what I understood:
- If the "yes" wins, a new PMC needs to be created, overseeing the releases
of Xerces-J, Xerces-C and Xerces-P. Who would be on this board? I guess it
will be made of people involved in these 3 projects; but this would mean
that, when one of these projects releases a version, a part of that board
will have no control on what has been released (granted, this percentage
will be lower - let's say 66% - than the current percentage in the XML PMC
- probably closer to 90%); or does it mean that the entire Xerces PMC will
need to be involved in all three projects?
- If the "no" wins, the current XML PMC should be "getting involved in code
changes": what does this imply? Monitoring xerces-cvs to spot license
problems or something else?

Thanks in advance,
Alberto