xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>
Subject Re: Moving the federation forward
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:42:41 GMT
Neil Graham wrote:

> As far as Xerces goes:  there were some concerns about the proposal I put
> forward to migrate Xerces-* into a top-level Xerces project.  The
> discussion pretty much stalled at that point, since the community seems
> largely content with the status quo and it wasn't obvious to me in any
> event how to address the expressed concerns.
>
> So it may be necessary for the Board to give stronger direction (and
> clearer reasons) as to why the Federation is needed--or, indeed, why the
> status quo in XML land is problematic.

I supposed fundamentally the issue is that status quo has Xerces
operating as a TLP without actually being recognised as such.

For us to keep Xerces in XML, we will need to bring all code and release
decisions under the purview of the XML PMC.  I'm not so sure that's the
best solution :>.

My read also is that people are way overcomplicating what becoming a TLP
means.  All that is required is a resolution to the board that indicates
that Xerces will become a TLP and what its purview will be.  Charters
can come later - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with codifying
current state for now!

After that - the only other activity required is that Xerces provide
regular reports to the board.  Which makes sense under the ASF structure
- you guys are running yourselves, so you should be reporting directly
to the board.

Cheers,
	Berin