xml-general mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: FSF says the Version 2.0 license is incompatible with GPL
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:51:45 GMT
At 5:53 PM +0100 2/18/04, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>Although it sorts of invalidates the purpose of the 2.0
>reformulation (or at least one of them), I think it is rather yet
>another bad shot for FSF, at leat so I would consider it. They keep
>asking everyone doing a license to lean down the knees in front the
>major gnu...
>MPL did only solve this by adding you could take MPL or LGPL...

This would certainly be an option for Apache, if you're so motivated.
An alternative would be to lobby the FSF to release a GPL 3.0 which
is compatible with Apache 2.0. I have no inside information on this,
but certainly the FSF has considered patent issues in the past. They
may well be looking at adding a patent revocation clause of their own.

It does not appear that there's any philosophical divide between the
two organizations on these matters. It's simply a matter of lining up
the language in the two licenses so everyone can be happy.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu