xml-general mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject RE: Update to Version 2.0 license
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2004 01:38:08 GMT
At 4:29 PM -0800 2/6/04, Cliff Schmidt wrote:

>As you suspected, you are misunderstanding.  The same
>rules apply about not having GPL (and LGPL in the case
>of Java)-licensed source within CVS.  The compatibility
>referred to means that someone creating a derivative of
>a GPL-licensed work can use code licensed under the
>Apache License 2.0 to create that derived work.

That's what the Apache foundation thinks. I asked the FSF about this
yesterday, and they seem to think otherwise. Dave Turner, their GPL
Compliance Engineer, told me in no uncertain language that the Apache
2.0 license is *not* compatible with the GPL. :-( It might behoove
the Apache folks to confer with the FSF folks, and find out what the
sticking point is.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu