xml-general mailing list archives

From Brian Minchau <minc...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Version 2.0 license and old copyright statements
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:33:49 GMT

I've got some questions releated to the fact that in Xalan there are
coprights from different companies, with different years in different code
files, yet the new Version 2.0 license has only one NOTICE file for the
distribution.  I'm not sure how to organize the old copyrights within the
single NOTICE file without loosing credit the the appropriate comany.

Help please.

In looking through Xalan code and the old copyrights are looking like this:
/*
 * @(#)$Id: IntegerArray.java,v 1.7 2003/07/10 15:02:13 mkwan Exp $
 *
 * The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
 *
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2001-2003 The Apache Software Foundation.  All rights
 * reserved.
... cut some out here ...
 *
 * SUCH DAMAGE.
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation and was
 * originally based on software copyright (c) 2001, Sun
 * Microsystems., http://www.sun.com.  For more
 * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 *
 * @author Jacek Ambroziak
 *
 */

So you see that there is a CVS $Id$  keyword that is expanded to the RCS
filename, version, etc. You can also see that there is additional
copyrights by Sun, and additional credits to the author (or authors).

My understanding is that such copright statements should be replaced with
the new boier-plate, in this case that would be:
/*
 * Copyright 2001-2004 The Apache Software Foundation.
 *
 *
 *     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * limitations under the License.
 */

The page http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html  indicates that there
should be a LICENSE file in the top level of the distribution ( it uses the
article "the" so I think there is only one such file).  This page also
allows for "the" NOTICE file. In the above sample the Sun Microsystems
copyright should be moved into this NOTICE file.  Other files within Xalan
have the Apache copyright end with the additional copyrights of other
companies, such as:
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation and was
 * originally based on software copyright (c) 1999, Lotus
 * Development Corporation., http://www.lotus.com.  For more
 * information on the Apache Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 */

or:
 * ====================================================================
 *
 * This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
 * individuals on behalf of the Apache Software Foundation and was
 * originally based on software copyright (c) 2003, International Business
 * Machines, Inc., http://www.ibm.com.  For more information on the Apache
 * Software Foundation, please see
 * <http://www.apache.org/>.
 */

Even within a Java package there can be copyright statements from different
companies.

 Xalan is planning a new release quite soon,  My questions are these:

1)  Must other copyright, other than the Verison 2.0 Apache ones be removed
from the code except in the NOTICE file?

2)  I presume that we need to move other things like $Id$ or author credit
out of the copyright block and into another comment in the code, right?

3) With one NOTICE file we will need to list all the companies various
copyright's and the list of parts that each copyright applies to. Or is the
intent to loose the individual companies copyrights on individual pieces of
code and have some blanket statement like "Portions of this software are
copyright Sun Microsystems..."? But in this case one really doesn't know
anymore which portions.  On the other hand I don't want to make a legal
mistake here.