xml-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: managing announcements in the new federation
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:47:33 GMT
hi berin

having a dozen or so announcement lists is going make it harder to keep
track of all new xml releases now and so make sure that they get fed
into the general infosphere (by way of the jakarta news section which
is now aggregated reasonably widely) but it's not such a big problem if
they were all to be created straight away. (what'd make it more
difficult is if projects started out by using announcements at xml and
then switched to use their own announcement lists without making an
announcement.)

what's more important is that there are people out there who are
relying on the announcements list to find out about new releases of
apache xml product. i have a feeling that someone produced some stats
about this when the posting-newsletters-to-announcement flame was
burning the apache newsletter (nee jakarta newsletter) to death. i
recall that the figures were larger than i'd expected. maybe it'd be a
good idea to either make announcements at xml into an aggrogater for
announcements within the federation (subscribe all announcement lists
in the federation) or close it down altogether (cleaner and let's
people know they need to subscribe to the announcement lists of those
projects they are interested in).

of course, this is just my tuppence...

- robert