xml-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <joc...@apache.org>
Subject DTD -> XML Schema translator
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:08:43 GMT

Hi,

I would like to include a DTD -> XML Schema translator into JaxMe. More
precisely, I would like to use one. AFAIK such software does not yet
exist within any Apache project. Fix me, if I'm wrong and I'll be happy
to use it.

If there is none, I would propose to include dtd2xs (see
http://sepia0.informatik.med.uni-giessen.de/dtd2xs.php). This is GPL'd
software, but the author would agree to contribute his software to the
ASF.

Questions:

   - IMO a proper place for such software would be xml-commons or
     xml-sandbox, or possibly ws-commons. Is there any interest to add
     the component? I would offer to do the work, with committers karma,
     if I might get it, or without, provided that someone declares
     himself responsible to recieve patches.

   - The software is currently GPL'd. My understanding is that the
     author would have to sign

         http://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt

     and fax it to +1-410-803-2258. Is that right?

   - As the component mainly consists of a single .java file of
     about 30K, I would like to avoid going through incubation.
     Is that possible, if I take just the simple file and ignore
     the remaining distribution.

Regards,

Jochen