xml-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: managing announcements in the new federation
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:34:48 GMT
On 14 Feb 2004, at 22:36, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> what's more important is that there are people out there who are
>> relying on the announcements list to find out about new releases of
>> apache xml product. i have a feeling that someone produced some stats
>> about this when the posting-newsletters-to-announcement flame was
>> burning the apache newsletter (nee jakarta newsletter) to death.
>
> :<.

hopefully, the newsletter's death will not have been in vain if it
becomes a useful lesson for more important changes in the days ahead.
creating the newsletter was a lot of work. it only took a dozen or so
objectors (at the ASF level) to kill it. when the newsletter was
produced by jakarta, there were few dissenters and many grateful
voices. we tried to keep the same (successful) production methods at an
ASF level but there were too few people willing to defend the
newsletter or put energy in to make it work - fewer than when it was
produced by jakarta - and too many who thought that it should be done
differently or objected to the entire idea.

it takes a lot of energy to get an idea off the ground. moving an idea
from project level to ASF level appears to involve a different scale of
expenditure than working with a smaller community. (think for example,
about jakarta-commons-sandbox verses incubator.) unless care is taken,
there won't be enough energy for the ideas to survive the change. so,
there's a real risk that what good about the umbrellas will be lost.

- robert