xml-general mailing list archives

From Gus Heck <gus.h...@olin.edu>
Subject Getting encodings to match
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:54:01 GMT
I have a program to which I added a "save as template" feature. The
template is an xml file and on my development box everything works
great. However upon deployment it seems that something with encodings
has been screwed up. I'm working in Java, so I include the DTD in the
jar and load it using a custom entity resolver that looks it up on the
classpath. It seems that for whatever reason, the DTD file in the jar is
getting converted to ISO8859_1 instead of UTF8. The parser will let me
leave the encoding delcaration out of the main xml file, but the
included DTD apparetly requires it.

My current theory is that the change is happening either when the file
goes in and out of CVS, or the encoding is getting changed when Ant
builds the jar. Lastly, I noticed that the production machine is running
old java (1.4.0) and I am running 1.4.2.

Anyone know which of these is most likely the problem, or have a
suggestion for ensuring that the encoding declaration always matches?

- Gus