xml-general mailing list archives

From "Steven T. Hatton" <hatt...@globalsymmetry.com>
Subject Re: Standard locations for jar files, etc.?
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:43:53 GMT
On Saturday 31 January 2004 07:24, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > Is this standardization of package structure something others would like
> > to see?
>
> I'm sure everybody will like it.
> Experience shows, however, that it takes some time to
> reach consensus, and that the fastest way to get a
> standard is to have it implemented in a tool with a
> lot of other benefits.
> I'd suggest looking at Maven.
>
> J.Pietschmann

I just glanced at Maven, and it looks like the kind of approach I was vaguely
envisioning. Perhaps not as ambitious, nor as comprehensive, but potentially
useful is Antidote.  It's quirky, limitted, and somewhat unpredictable at its
current state of development, but is nonetheless useful to a person who finds
it easier to comprehend such things as build.xml files when they are
represented in a concise visual manner.

Having antidote with a built-in default configuration template might be
advantageous to the implementors of Maven.  I have to admit I speak out of
ignorance.  I am merely mentioning the tool because I would like to see it
grow, and I believe it has a roll to play somewhere in the context of project
management and standardization.

STH