xml-general mailing list archives

From Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: XML PMC and Oversight]
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:40:47 GMT
On 4 Dec 2003, at 10:40, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> So if we make AxKit (for example) a TLP, then you can *almost* keep
> doing things the way you are now.  You would have to appoint a chair
> and PMC of your own (probably just formalising a group you already
> have) and report directly to the board.  Even that we might be able to
> do as we do today - everyone reporting in a combined report once a
> quarter.
> The difference would be that *the right people* - i.e. yourselves -
> have the responsibility of reviewing your own code and releases.
> Given you are already doing that, it seems like a win-win to me :>.
> Other than that - you can change as much as you want.  With the
> federation approach, we can all keep working together (if we so
> desire) within the XML web-site and mailing lists, so nothing changes
> there, and all us little projects can help each other out with this
> infrastructure stuff :>.

I guess I would come back with the fact that I *like* the XML PMC as
middle management here. They remind me and prod me when I need to do
something. Without them, I'd be reporting direct to the board, and that
doesn't scale.

I think I see what you're saying though - it's not the sub-projects
that are failing, it's the PMC members in XML that are failing to keep
an overview on all the projects. Unfortunately that might once again
come down to picking tuits off trees. :-/

I guess there's no easy answers to this.