xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: XML PMC and Oversight
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:21:04 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:
>>> So the feeling I got from Dirk's e-mail is that the board does not
>>> want to see us fragment into
>>> multiple TLPs that the board has to manage, as
>>> then we simply push the problem to them.
>>

>> The Board *would* prefer to see more TLPs rather than complicated
>> structures under one large PMC. The problem here is based on one PMC
>> trying to oversee way too many projects. Partitioning should help.
>>

> Perhaps we need to revisit the idea of separating websites and
> governance.  Partitioning is an incremental step toward every project
> having a PMC.  If that's the final goal, then let's just say that.  All
> of these intermediate refactorings just force people who don't care
> about charters, etc to be subjected to it repeatedly.  If we want a 1-1
> relationship of projects and PMC's, its better to just do it rather than
> slowly wearing people out with repeated refactorings.

+1 with fervour.

I need to get myself clear.  When I suggested in passing that Xerces
maybe become a TLP as a first step in making this whole problem simpler,
I was told that this is pushing the problem back to the board, so think
again.  So I started looking at more complex solutions.

There are two very broad long term approaches to the Jakartas and XMLs
of the world.

1.  We take on larger projects to let up a bit on the board.  That
*will* require more complex partitionings as the PMC is only human.  We
cannot handle large numbers of large projects with the level of
immediate oversite the board is requiring.  We have to put in place some
form of intermediate structure to handle appropriately.  Just as the
board has.

2.  They are simply holding projects for small growing projects, and as
soon as they are large enough we create a TLP and they become the
board's concern.

Personally - am very happy either way.  Tell us what our final aim is,
because I am 100% behind Ted's statement above.  I do not want to be a
part of messing people around with complicated systems only to find that
it's all a waste of time :>.

The easiest way to solve this entire problem is to partition the project
into multiple TLPs as Shane suggested.  If that's the best alignment to
the board's longer term desires, then lets just do it!  Win-win for
everyone!

Where do you want us to be heading?  We are all yours to command :>.

Cheers,
	Berin