xml-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: XML PMC and Oversight
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:32:35 GMT
On 11/21/2003 5:44 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:06:12AM +1100, Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>>>-- Split the ASF organizational structure up into 3ish PMC's to cover all
>>>the existing XML projects.
>>>This should give the required level of oversight without overwhelming the
>>Maybe....  Sooner or later (and it looks like it's
>>going to be sooner the way the ASF is adding
>>projects :>), the board is going to hit the top
>>limit of projects it can oversite adequately.  If
> I wouldn't worry too much about this. We review the reports during the
> board meetings. I think we have plenty of time and opportunity to handle
> more reports. But it does mean that I'm going to be much more firm on the
> PMCs getting reports in with sufficient time *before* the meeting, so the
> directors have time to review the reports before the meeting.
>>So the feeling I got from Dirk's e-mail is that
>>the board does not want to see us fragment into
>>multiple TLPs that the board has to manage, as
>>then we simply push the problem to them.
> The Board *would* prefer to see more TLPs rather than complicated
> structures under one large PMC. The problem here is based on one PMC
> trying to oversee way too many projects. Partitioning should help.

Perhaps we need to revisit the idea of separating websites and
governance.  Partitioning is an incremental step toward every project
having a PMC.  If that's the final goal, then let's just say that.  All
of these intermediate refactorings just force people who don't care
about charters, etc to be subjected to it repeatedly.  If we want a 1-1
relationship of projects and PMC's, its better to just do it rather than
slowly wearing people out with repeated refactorings.