xml-general mailing list archives

From Christian Schuhegger <Christian.Schuheg...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: JARV and DocumentFragment validation
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:33:24 GMT
Hi,

> I think one can use MSV
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/xml/developers/multischema/ or
> https://msv.dev.java.net/ for partial validation. It doesn't give this
> functionality OOTB though, but its internal API at least, IIUC, contain
> the components you need for building e.g. a DOM-tree with partial
> validation functionality for sub trees. Take a look at the native
> validation interface
> https://msv.dev.java.net/unbranded-source/browse/*checkout*/msv/msv/doc/acceptor.html?rev=1.1

Thanks for your hint. Actually I do all my tests with MSV, but at least
with the JARV interface partial validation does not work OOTB as you
mentioned already. I also got a reply from Kohsuke Kawaguchi who
proposed an implementation path:

> W3C have defined an API for partial validation: DOM Level 3 Validation
> Specification http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Val/ it is designed for
> schema based editing, so besides partial validation you can also ask
> what kind of element that is allowed to insert at a certain place in the
> DOM-tree. Quite cool IMO, but I don't know if there are any
> implementations yet.

Yes, this sounds interesting.

Perhaps while I am just asking perhaps it would also be a good idea to
explain a bit about the background of my question. There are several
form validation packages out there, basically one for every web
application framework. But in fact the form validation task is in large
parts exactly the same functionality as implemented in xml validation
libraries, except that xml validation libraries do not support cross
checks between the values of different fields and they do not allow to
configure a custom failure message in case that a field could not be
validated. In order to find out which element in the form caused the
validation error I would like to validate each sub-element one at a
time. I have seen that the interface org.w3c.dom.DOMError has a method:
	public DOMLocator getLocation();
But at least the current Xerces-j implementation does not implement the:
	public Node getRelatedNode();
method of the DOMLocator object.

Another problem I will have to solve is how to receive real Java objects
from the validated XML file. I mean after I know that the data is in the
correct string format I thought there should be an easy way to query
e.g. the PSVI interfaces for the real Java value like Integer, Date,
Double, ... but I had to find out that the Xerces-j team is currently
planning to implement an extension of the current PSVI interfaces to
allow something in that direction. It is not available right now. If
anybody has a suggestion for that problem in the meantime I would be
happy to hear about that.

Thanks again for your information!!
--
Christian Schuhegger