xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Apache Mirrors
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:20:47 GMT
Peoples,

I think many are aware that the ASF has put in place a system that
allows other sites to mirror the files available for download from the
various Apache web sites.  This is all goodness - it allows people to
download from closer to home at the same time as reducing the bandwidth
utilisation for the main Apache site.

The XML project is lagging a bit behind other projects in moving to this
new scheme, and it's time we bit the bullet and made this happen.  The
aim is to try to do this within 2 months - i.e. by the end of October.

Of the various XML sub-projects, fop, forrest and security have already
moved over to the new system.  That leaves :

Xerces-J
Xerces-C
Xerces-P
Xalan-J
Xalan-C
Batik
Commons
Xindice
AxKit

It would be great if the PMC members could look at what needs to be done
to make this happen for their sub-projects.  If people could report back
to General as to who is going to take on what and then how they are
going, I will keep a status list.

Having done this for the xml-security sub-project, I can vouch for this
not being a huge piece of work :>.

Instructions for what needs to be done can be found at :

http://cvs.apache.org/~bodewig/mirror.html

and

http://www.apache.org/dev/mirrors.html

We probably also want to put together a general download page for the
project - but one thing at a time :>.

Cheers,
	Berin