xml-general mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: DocumentBuilder.parse(file);
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:40:43 GMT
Matthew Oatham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem - when I try to parse an XML file using
> DocumentBuilder.parse(file) whilst NOT connected to the internet I get
> the following exception
>
> java.net.UnknownHostException: java.sun.com
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3182)
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.externalParameterEntity(Parser2.java:2870)
>
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeDoctypeDecl(Parser2.java:1167)
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:489)
>        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:305)
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:442)
>        at
> org.apache.crimson.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:185)
>
>        at
> javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:197)
>        at
> com.assethouse.tools.doclets.ejb.EJBDeploymentDescriptorDoclet.replaceNode(Unknown
> Source)
>
> I guess the DocumentBuilder is trying to look up the DTD - I can solve
> this by referencing the DTD from the file system but this means users
> have to download the DTD - not very elligant. Is there a way to stop
> the DocumentBuilder form trying to look up the DTD or do the
> validation part. So I can avoid this exception id the user doesn't
> have an internet connection

What you are looking for is called entity resolution using catalogs.
There is a page describing how to use entity resolver in Cocoon:
    http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/catalog.html

How to use entity resolver in whatever you are using (crimson?) -- you
can get an answer on this if you email appropriate mailing list
(xerces-users, I guess).

Regards,
Vadim