xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ilene Seelemann" <il...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] xml.apache.charter
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:08:03 GMT
The "approved in advance" text:

[For efficiency, some code changes from some contributors (e.g. feature
additions, bug fixes) may be approved in advance, in which case they may be
committed first and changed as needed, with conflicts resolved by majority
vote of the committers.]

This probably isn't a big deal, but I still find the wording a little
unclear.  Should sub-projects vote on which contributors have advance
approval to commit certain types of code changes?  Or, can all committers
go ahead and commit bug fixes and assume acceptance in the absence of
anyone else raising issues?

I'm terrible at writing these things, but If I had to reword this section,
I would focus more on the need for a community vote on redesign and large
feature additions.

Ilene.

                      Matt Sergeant

                      <matt@sergeant.or        To:       "general@xml.apache.org" <general@xml.apache.org>

                      g>                       cc:       "pmc@xml.apache.org" <pmc@xml.apache.org>

                                               Subject:  Re: [VOTE] xml.apache.charter

                      06/12/2003 01:09

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      pmc

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Ilene Seelemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to apologize for coming up with comments after the voting has
> started.

Me too.

> I find Section 10.1 a little unclear.  Surely, we don't expect a vote
> (either before or after) on every bug fix that goes in?  I would expect
> discussion and votes on  redesign and features, but I've always thought
> that committers could work independently to address "smaller" bugs
reported
> in bugzilla.

I think this is covered by the "approved in advance" text.

My query relates to section 4.9 - I think rather than "ceases to make
codebase contributions for an extended period" it might be better to refer
to the conditions laid out in section 6 for remaining a committer, which
includes the detail of also contributing to the mailing lists.

Anyway, if that can't be tweaked, +1 regardless.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->get a SMart net</:->