xml-general mailing list archives

From "Neil Graham" <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] xml.apache.charter
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:04:21 GMT
Hi Matt and all,

Just to clarify:  the language in 6.2 does not relate to "the conditions
[...] for remaining a committer", but to the conditions for remaining an
*active* committer.  Inactive committers are still committers, and (as I
understand it) can become active simply by reappearing with an intention to
do work.  This isn't the first time this has caused confusion, so I wonder
whether we need to clarify it?

Note that, as far as I can tell, the charter does not provide anymeans for
someone actually to lose committer status.  I have no opinion on whether
this ought to change.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Matt Sergeant    |
|         |           <matt@sergeant.or|
|         |           g>               |
|         |           06/12/2003 01:09 |
|         |           pmc              |

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Ilene Seelemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to apologize for coming up with comments after the voting has
> started.

Me too.

> I find Section 10.1 a little unclear.  Surely, we don't expect a vote
> (either before or after) on every bug fix that goes in?  I would expect
> discussion and votes on  redesign and features, but I've always thought
> that committers could work independently to address "smaller" bugs
reported
> in bugzilla.

I think this is covered by the "approved in advance" text.

My query relates to section 4.9 - I think rather than "ceases to make
codebase contributions for an extended period" it might be better to refer
to the conditions laid out in section 6 for remaining a committer, which
includes the detail of also contributing to the mailing lists.

Anyway, if that can't be tweaked, +1 regardless.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->get a SMart net</:->