xml-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: A cut at update to charter.txt
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:50:09 GMT
Ted Leung wrote:
> Does anyone have any outstanding issues with this version of the
> charter?  Are we ready for a vote?

I've been pretty swamped until today, now I just put my lawyer hat on
(yes, I'm a lawyer... well, you don't want to know... ;-)) and I've read
carefully the charter. Random notes:

1. para 6.3 of the ASF bylaws is somehow unclear, infact it might
suggest that a PMC chair might be anyone, but other than that only
members can be part of a PMC. Given, anyway, that this is definitely not
the case for most PMC I know of and/or participate to (despite not being
a member), my take is that the Board is aware of that and have decided
for an extensive interpretation of such article, since it doesn't
actually forbid non ASF members to be part of a PMC (although I was
actually unable to find a board minute or resolution stating that -
probably my bad);

2. I still think that para 6.1 of the XML charter, second phrase, should
be changed from

"New committers are added when a developer is nominated by a committer
and approved by at least 50 percent of the committers for thatsubproject
with no opposing votes."

"New committers are added when a developer is nominated by a committer
and approved by at least 50 percent of the *active* committers for
thatsubproject with no opposing votes."

a small change, but might help in avoding stalls for projects with a few
activity but a good number of committers, mostly inactive. Take xindice
as an example: we have roughly 16 committers, but only 3-4 of them are
actively following the list. Given this situation we might have an hard
time letting interested people in (and this happened in the past when we
had to send private emails to wake up people and have them vote).

Other than that, I'm fine with it. Thanks Berin for cleaning it up,
looks much more readable now.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino