xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Back to the charter
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:21:01 GMT
Ted,

Had another read.

1. Would anyone have any objections to me running through the document
and adding numbers to the headings (x) and paragraphs (x.y)?  I find it
easier to comment and work on documents with numbers.

2. We are talking about electing a chairperson of the PMC.  I assume
this will then be a recommendation to the Board, so the board can then
appoint the person as a officer of the corporation (if necessary) as per
6.3 of the bylaws?  (Forgive me if I have this wrong - I'm not clear on
exactly how it all hangs together.)

If this is the process we wish to follow within the PMC from here on (it
seems like a good one to me :>), then we should "enshrine" it in the
charter, rather than just say "...must have at least one officer from
the Apache board who will be the Chairperson....".  At the moment we are
going to hold an election, but without any clear directive as to why or
what it means.  (Again - forgive me if I have this up wrong, there is
more than likely something of which I am not aware?)

3. The process for electing representatives to the PMC appears to be
totally different to what is in the charter.  It is clear that the board
expects each sub-project to have direct representation on the PMC if
possible (reference recent e-mail on Batik).  This is not reflected in
the charter process for electing reps.  Neither is the process of having
each sub-comittee elect their own reps.

I know there was some reservation about this process when it was raised
previously.  I _think_ (long time back) Dirk had reservations about this
possibly creating a situation where we are not necessarily getting the
best people with a good strategic outlook on the project.

So again - maybe we should document what is being done and properly
grapple with how we want to handle the strategic outlook issue?

I've done a _very_ rough and quick hack at the current section on the
PMC to try to illustrate 2&3 above (I couldn't resist :>), but I have
not tried to factor in the strategic piece, or a previous discussion
that was had around rotating PMC membership.  It's more to put a stake
in the ground.

4.  Gump (second last section) is not really appropriate for everyone -
not really aimed at C++ libraries.  (Xerces-C, Xalan-X, XML-Security-C).
  Maybe this should either mention Java or "where appropriate"

THE PROJECT MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE
================================
The xml.apache.org project is managed by a core group of
contributors known as the Project Management Committee [PMC].  The PMC
must have at least one officer from the Apache Board, who will be the
Chairperson and report to the Apache Board.  See
http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html for reference. The
Chairperson will serve a term of one calendar year.

Once per year, the PMC will provide a recommendation to the Apache
Board for the position of Chairperson of the PMC.  This recommendation
will be made on the basis of an election held within the project.
All members of the PMC at the time of the election will be eligable for
nominations to the position of Chairperson, and the project will vote
from those nominated,
to select the PMC representative to be recommended to the Apache Board
as the Chairperson for the next 12 months.

(** Who nominates, and who votes? **)

The PMC has the following responsibilities:

1) Accepting new subproject proposals, formally submitting these
    proposals for xml.apache.org committer vote, and creating the
    subproject (see SUBPROJECTS below).  This is done in collaboration
    with the Incubator.
2) Facilitating code or other donations by individuals or companies,
    in collaboration with the Incubator.
3) Resolving license issues and other legal issues in conjunction with
    the ASF board
4) Ensuring that administrative and infrastructure work is completed.
5) Facilitating relationships among projects and subprojects.
6) Facilitating relationships between xml.apache.org and the external
    world.
7) Overseeing xml.apache.org to ensure that the mission defined in
    this document is being fulfilled.
8) Resolving conflicts within the project.

Every 12 months, each subproject of xml.apache.org will nominate 1-2
individuals to represent them on the PMC.  To become a sub-project's
representative on the PMC, an individual must be nominated by a
contributor, unanimously approved by all PMC members, and approved by
a two-thirds majority of the sub-project's active committers. In most
cases,  developers will have actively contributed to development for
at least six months before being considered for membership on the PMC.

In cases where the sub-project is unable to directly provide a
representative on the PMC, another member of the PMC will be required to
  represent that sub-project on the PMC.

In the unlikely event that a member of the PMC becomes disruptive to
the process or ceases to make codebase contributions for an extended
period, said member may be removed by unanimous vote of remaining PMC
members.

The PMC is responsible for maintaining and updating this
charter. Development must follow the process outlined below, so any
change to the development process necessitates a change to the
charter. Changes must be unanimously approved by all members of the
PMC. A contributor may challenge a change to the charter at any time
and ask for a vote of all xml.apache.org active committers, in which
case a two-thirds majority must approve the change.

Cheers,
	Berin