xml-general mailing list archives

From "Neil Graham" <ne...@ca.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Committer Voting [Was: Revisions to xml.apache.org charter]
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:24:45 GMT
Hi all,

How about an algorithm something like this for de/relisting:

- the subproject's PMC reps should be responsible for keeping a list of
active committers;
- a committer should be deemed active so long as he posts to the
subproject's mailing lists or makes code contributions;
- When a decision requiring a majority of active committers has to be made,
the PMC reps will review the active list; if after searching the relevant
mailing list archives they cannot find a post or code contribution record
from a particular committer for the last three months, then they need to
send an e-mail to the committer's Apache ID, cc'ing the subproject's
development list (also the pmc list?) warning the committer that they are
about to be considered inactive;
- no response within 72 hours will result in the committer being
inactivated.

To my mind this seems fair; we're giving people an explicit chance to tell
us they're just lurking, while not imposing undue hardships on PMC reps.
I'm not quite clear on how a committer reactivates themselves though:  what
if a committer who's been inactive for years seems to show up again, says
they're interested and wants a password reset?  On the one hand it would be
great to encourage people to return to the fold; on the other you can
imagine that it wouldn't be hard to compromise such a system, if a
malicious party got hold of a list of inactive committers somehow...

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Dirk-Willem van  |
|         |           Gulik            |
|         |           <dirkx@webweaving|
|         |           .org>            |
|         |           03/18/2003 08:47 |
|         |           general          |

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> > to have high voter turnout....

> Can we possibly engender a high voter turn out without
> setting arbitrary limits?  For example you could have the sub-project

Or 'de-list' folks if they did not vote on any issue in X consequtive
periods or somethign ?

Dw