xml-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Revisions to xml.apache.org charter
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:44:15 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Voting should be made a requirement for _releases_ IMHO.
>

> ...and other "important decisions", subject to "common sense".
> For example:
> - major non-incremental design changes

if consensus exist: dunnow

otherwise: +0.5

is voting a method of gauging consensus? or should we install some flame
metering instead? :-)

> - branching

+1

> - public API changes, in particular if other Apache projects
>   are known to be affected (should they have a vote too? :-)

Oh sure, why not. ;-)

Seriously: I really don't know. Avalon is kind enough to check on Cocoon
prior to changing APIs we depend on, but I regard that as a very kind
courtesy and as such, I value this much more than when they would do the
same just because of rules and regulations. I like it when people are
doing Good Things without being expected to do so.

My nitpicking was based on the _required_ votes. I think we should have
as little required votes as possible. Informal consensus gauging by
exchanging +1/-1 are already part of our life and vocabulary. (I
sometimes even see myself replying to customer emails with only "+1" in
the body if I'm OK with what they said.)

Totally OT: as a non-native English speaking guy, I've been smiling
today because of the similarity between 'vote' and 'veto'. There's some
beautiful coinciding tongue-in-cheek humor behind that, especially if
you look at recent discussions on some lists. But I'm digressing... ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org