xml-general mailing list archives

From <be...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject Re: Re: Committer Voting [Was: Revisions to xml.apache.org charter]
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Neil,

Hmm.  I'm still not convinced we need to be
setting arbitrary limits on the number of people
who respond.  It all strikes me as a bit over the
top.  There may be people who are purely involved
because the love programming parsers.  If they
are happy to just let others make a decision about
(for example) what new projects are created, then
so be it.  If we need to get more people voting,
then lets sell it, not ram it down peoples
throats.

I also think we are tying active status in with
voting.  So I think the process below sounds
great, but it doesn't need to be tied into any
particular vote.  Maybe it should just be done
every 6 months.  I reckon it could also be fairly
easily automated using some perl scripts and a
request to all users to list all e-mail addresses
that they use in mailing lists.  (Or the report
being sent to a PMC rep who can work out that
people have been e-mailing under a new address
and tweak the system.)

So I'm not arguing against active status being
tied to activity, particularly if you can
re-enable.  Just about "majority" voting.

However, back to voting and on the assumption
we tied voting into getting majority (i.e. that
there is a general feeling that it is a
requirement that to be part of Apache you must
vote).

Might have to be careful around people who operate
in multiple sub-projects.  So we might have to
find a way of ensuring that people who have voted
in one sub-project are not penalised because
they don't vote in another.

(Maybe instead of +1 a "+1 already counted" :>).

Cheers,
    Berin