xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:25:45 GMT

> If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.
> Thus we are advocating that all projects be -projects- where possible
> (not sub-projects), with their own PMC with all dedicated committers in it.
> "The primary motivation is to create a more direct path from those
> accountable and responsible (the PMC) and the code. Without a direct,
> obvious, and demonstrable oversight, it will be impossible for the ASF
> to show that the code was developed and released according to *its* desires.
> IOW, it was done by individuals, so the liability falls to those

Obviously it would be possible to engineer something -other- than a PMC
which would give the same protection. All a PMC is in terms of its
relation of the board is a group of -named- people which are chartered
with a set of certain tasks. We could create something called a FooBar
with to a large extend those protective properties while having something
akin to a PMC with some slightly different tasks.

Dw