xml-general mailing list archives

From scott_b...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:14:13 GMT

Strong plus one for project-level representation, member to be voted in by
the given project.  I have been an advocate for this for a very long time.

To the larger question of how the XML PMC is failing it's duties.  I guess
I would like to see the PMC take a bit of a larger leadership role in:

1) Marketing xml.apache.org as a whole.
2) Architecture, though I don't think anything is particularly broken now.
Still, it would be neat to arrange some IRC sessions where we could
brainstorm about general technical directions, utility infrastructure, etc.
3) Attracting corporate level involvement.  (What would it take to get
Oracle involved?  Etc.)  I like to think of Apache as a truly neutral
collaboration ground for companies as well as individual developers.  Sun
and IBM have been doing well in this regard.  It would be nice to bring
more players to the table.

I certainly think xml.apache.org should remain an entity, with projects
moving out when and if they feel the need.  I don't see the need or benifit
for any deep reorganization.  Sandbox would be nice.

As far as the issues about legal stuff that have been brought up, I wish
the ASF would provide some sort of resource to do this (check on legality
of jars, etc.).  I don't think that legal protection should be a function
of the PMCs.

-scott