xml-general mailing list archives

From scott_b...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 02:20:51 GMT

Sam Ruby <rubys@apache.org> wrote on 12/04/2002 04:30:52 PM:
> 1) The norm is for every active committer who has been so for a period
> of time (this is approximately 6 months in the case of HTTPD) to become
> a part of the PMC.  Yes, this makes for a large PMC.

I like this also.  At this point, I like it a tiny bit more than the one
person rep per project notion.

> 2) Any release done by the project is accomplished via a vote of that
PMC.

I like this a lot, though it has it's risks.

> The ASF has precious few resources beyond volunteers.  It does have some
> dollars that could be applied to getting legal advice in specific
> instances which warrant it.

Yes, I understand.  However, it would be interesting to think about some
sort of funding model for this task and a few others, for a full time
person (like a real sys admin).  It's just that I don't think that (most)
volunteers in PMCs have the time nor the qualifications to do this.  I
wonder if IBM and Sun could pool money?  Maybe we could have a "donate"
page for only this purpose when people like the software.  Sorry, I guess
this is getting off topic.  (But these days I'm afraid to talk about these
sorts of things on the members list for fear I'll be shot completely dead.
I'm hoping I'll get over it soon.  There are other appropriate lists these
days, but I simply can't keep up... email is the new tyranny of the world.)

-scott