xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unused imports
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:58:31 GMT

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Tom Copeland wrote:
>

>>PMD has a command line interface thing, i.e.:
>>
>>java -jar pmd-1.01.jar path/to/my/src html rulesets/unusedcode.xml >
>>path/to/report/file
>>
>>So if GUMP can just shell out to it, that should do the trick.  I'm not
>>really familiar with Gump, although I'm following the discussion about
>>it on jakarta-general today...
>

> I think what you need is to extend the gump desrciptor to include
> the paths to sources in each project.
>
> Generating the command needs some XSL changes. Projects use
> different layouts and many have many dirs containing sources.
>

> The information can also be used to generate
> idea/eclipse/netbeans/IDE project descriptors as well :-)

At Centipede we have already extended it for this, and wanted to port it
back in Gump, but time is limited.

Here are some examples of extended Gump descriptors:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-template/smoke-test/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-template/hello-world/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/krysalis/krysalis-centipede/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

We use it with the jxpath: stuff in the embed proposal to get info about
the build dirs in Centipede. The other thing was the idea of using Gump
not to call the build, but to "impose" the builds, in a complete
Inversion of Control. So we can automate the run and have it run all
sorts of tools on the code, like statCVS (I've run it for Cocoon
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/statcvs/).

So many ideas, so little time... Gump was in the big, and Centipede for
doing it in a more granular way on the project-level... So basically
Centipede is Ant on steroids, with pluggable build parts and usage of
Gump descriptors.

Ok, I'm getting off target now, I'll continue on the Gump place. In the
meantime, who is interested can look in the Gumop codebase and try the
GUI Gump descriptor editor in the editor dir. It already tries to use
some extended tags.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -