xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2002 09:05:45 GMT

Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
> want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many people
> will still have the overview?
>
> Or when they all become top level projects with no management
> container/grouping/clustinger - can the board maintain overview ?

If the projects are able to maintain themselves IMHO yes, as it is in my
company organization.

I am the project manager here and have weekly meetings with 12 people,
all from different work units; if they do their job well and just need
to report, the meeting takes no more than 20 minutes. If they "whine"
(yes, it happens ;-) then it can take more than the whole morning.

The board can always find a pattern in the problems and requests it
recieves, and create groups that address these issues for them, like the
infrastructure group or the incubator project.

Grouping IMHO makes sense, but not really from a management perspective,
since projects can be part of many groups (ie cocoon=java+xml+...).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -