xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:52:34 GMT

- copying incubator as a notice of RFE about the docs -

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Ok, then let's not even try then, who cares, oh and while we're at it
>> let's remove the PMCs, why are they needed, oh and the board too, oh
>> and why Apache at all... get real, try to be constructive. If nobody
>> cares, tell me what we should do to solve the problem instead of
>> institutionalizing it.
>

> I see this and I also see you stating that there exist 'various levels
> of legal protection'. Maybe we should make those levels more explicit, for:
>
> * contributors (patches)
> * committers
> * PMC - non-Members
> * PMC - Members
> * Members
> * Directors (VPs et al.)
> * Board
>
> Gee - I assume many will be surprised seeing _that_ many categories
> existing within the Apache community. Also, given the fact committers
> might receive wide-ranging commmit rights within federations of
> non-topleveled projects (e.g. the future xml.a.o), I'm convinced there
> exists several superfluous levels or differences in this classification.
>
> And I saw Sam already mentioning his inclination to be more liberal with
> this 'Member'-thing on some list/blog (don't know where anymore,
> information overload ;-)

IMV there are

1 contributors-committers
2 PMC members
3 members

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but it's simply that 2 and 3 will be
protected by Apache, the more if what they do is done following the
Apache guidelines and in the interest of Apache.

IE, if you are a member but deliberately commit illegal stuff to CVS and
do other things like this, I don't know how much protection you will
recieve, but that's IMVHO and Personal opinion.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -