xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:48:48 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:53:08AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> [snip 1-vs-many PMCs]

>>>Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?
>>
>>Ok, then let's not even try then, who cares, oh and while we're at it
>>let's remove the PMCs, why are they needed, oh and the board too, oh and
>>why Apache at all... get real, try to be constructive. If nobody cares,
>>tell me what we should do to solve the problem instead of
>>institutionalizing it.
>
> I'm suggesting that while the PMCs are worrying about the possibility of
> a LGPL jar in CVS, Microsoft might be poised to wipe Apache off the map
> with 0.00001% of its legal budget because Cocoon infringes some obscure
> patent of theirs.

Anything can happen. We are here to take all *reasonable* measures to
not make it happen. Checking jars and doing our best in making
contributors sign the contributor's agreement before becoming committers
all give a certain degree of protection, and not doing them just because
the protection is not theoretically total (ever if this concept exists
in this world) is not correct.

> This is a question about the legal relevance of PMCs in general, not
> directly related to the current debate.  I would personally like to know
> whether PMCs are any use (legally) at all, before debating whether there
> should be one or many.

They are. Things done by entities entiteled by the Apache board are
doing it in the name of Apache. PMCs are. Simple committers aren't.
Thus Apache will protect entities that it has officially and legally
appointed.

But the existence of PMCs is not in this debate, nor if the current
legal structure of Apache. If you have questions or suggestions please
post them on community@apache.org and/or general@incubator.apache.org

             - verba volant, scripta manent -