xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 10:53:08 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:21:19PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
>
>>Probably my largest concern has to do with ensuring that ASF style
>>processes are being followed on all projects.  This includes subjective
>>measures such as "the health of the community" for a project, and
>>proposal of project committers for membership in the ASF.
>

> So.. how would making more projects top-level fix this?  As part of
> xml.apache.org, subprojects at least have PMC members with some local
> knowledge of the projects. Would the ASF board have known what to do with
> the SOAP/WASP Lite/Axis issue?  Would board members lurk on project
> lists, like XML PMC members do currently?

Again, the board will not become the over-PMC.
Each project will be responsible and accountable for what it does.

Before one PMC - many subprojects.
After many PMCs - mo subprojects.

This doesn't change how the board operates with PMCs.

>>Then there's the legal stuff, which includes the visibility to the
>>board, jar files, code without copyright, code with incompatible
>>copyright, code with patent infringements, etc.
>
> Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?

Ok, then let's not even try then, who cares, oh and while we're at it
let's remove the PMCs, why are they needed, oh and the board too, oh and
why Apache at all... get real, try to be constructive. If nobody cares,
tell me what we should do to solve the problem instead of
institutionalizing it.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -