xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 06:52:42 GMT

Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:59:52PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Jeff Turner wrote:
>>[...]
>>
>>>Let's clarify exactly what is broken before fixing it.
>>
>>If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.
>

> I understood that:
>
>  - the ASF legal entity is there to protect ASF _members_
>  - PMC member != ASF member.  Eg, we're both Avalon PMC members, but if
>    someone were to sue us, that would not benefit us.
>
> Thus, forming PMCs and flattening the structure in no way lessens the
> legal risk taken by non-member committers (the vast majority).  If I'm
> wrong on this important point, please correct me.

IANAL, but PMC members have some form of protection.
The PMC is formally appointed by Apache to look over a project, and thus
operates under its request (by the board) and oversight (chair and
board). The ASF will protect the people it appoints.

> That still leaves the question: in what way is the current XML PMC
> failing in its duties.

What do you think its duties are?

> I can see that the Jakarta PMC might have missed stuff happening in the
> depths of Commons and Avalon, but xml.apache.org is a much quieter place.

The Xml PMC cannot review all code commits and placement of jars and
licenses, and at the same time ensure that the Apache process for
guidelines is followed, it's just too much work.

How much time has the xml site been in need of an overhaul and fixes?
How come the Xang project was still listed in the same space as the
other active projects? Where is the STATUS file detailed in the
guidelines (http://xml.apache.org/source.html#N10028) in most projects?
These points do not seem to be clearly part of the PMC mission ATM
http://xml.apache.org/management.html , but in fact are.

ATM it's humanly impossible for the Xml PMC to do all this with all the
projects and communities it has.

> <snip good quotes>

</snip good quotes>

             - verba volant, scripta manent -