xml-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 21:41:13 GMT
Andy Clark wrote:

> So I say make every project independent (unless
> there is a direct, mandatory dependency -- i.e. a
> sub-project) and then allow each project to decide
> which taxonomy (or taxonomies) that are appropriate.

Is that something you plan to mandate and enforce?  If so, how?

Should what was once Apache Jakarta Avalon Excalibur Threadcontext be a
separate project, or is it sufficient for Avalon to be a separate
project (as it is now)?

As to Jeff's question as to what's broken, clearly Jakarta was not
providing sufficient oversight to the Avalon code base - license
violations were made and Apache processes were not being followed.  The
correct solution was to make Avalon self-sufficient.  This process is
well underway.

Ted is questioning whether or not the XML PMC is providing sufficient
oversight.  It is a valid question.

The guidelines I would suggest for establishing a PMC boundary is one of
whether one where you would want the karma boundaries to be placed...
example: should Xerces and Xalan have a unified set of committers or
should these lists be separate?  This is a question that can be resolved
in bottom up manner.

- Sam Ruby