xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:49:11 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
> If everyone leaves and becomes a toplevel project (which
 > I don't believe will happen), what will happen to the
 > XML project then?

I think too much effort is being expended trying to
decide between everything being a top-level project
or kept within a project group (e.g. XML, Jakarta).
And the problem is intensified by the fact that
there are projects that cross boundaries. So why
have these boundaries at all?

Instead of thinking of where each project feels
comfortable developing, we should be thinking about
how users find the projects and solutions that they
need. Users, especially new ones, don't approach
Apache thinking that they need Tomcat and Cocoon;
they are looking for a server application that lets
them dynamically generate web pages using XML.

So I say make every project independent (unless
there is a direct, mandatory dependency -- i.e. a
sub-project) and then allow each project to decide
which taxonomy (or taxonomies) that are appropriate.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org