xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:34:22 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Steven Noels wrote:
>

>> Less structure, more responsibility.
>

> ACK
>
>>> Also, I don't know whether this approach will help smaller
>>> communities to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper
>>> identity. Do we want incubator or commons to contain that many
>>> projects? How many people will still have the overview?
>>

>> Apart from having all commit privileges to all jakarta projects, I
>> don't see why this will necessarily change communities. They don't
>> have to mix and merge, they are simply becoming aware that they are
>> part of Jakarta, or have to go top-level.
>>
>> Increasing awareness of what Jakarta and Xml.Apache really are -
>> projects - instead of pretending they are smaller Apaches.
>

> Point taken & agree.
>
> Getting back to the original question however, it felt like Ted (as XML
> PMC member) came to ask us what this XML project needs to be, i.e. what
> the XML PMC should take care off. If everyone leaves and becomes a
> toplevel project (which I don't believe will happen), what will happen
> to the XML project then?

If (as you believe will not happen) not all projects become top-level,
there is no problem.
If all go top-level, they will be happy of it, since they are not
obliged to do it, so itìs still not a problem.

Bottom line: tell everyone what should be done, ie top-level or in the
same xml project.

If something is needed, it will naturally remain.
If it's not it will naturally go away.

  -> No problem :-)

> I'll think some more about that.
>
> </Steven>