xml-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:29:02 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Steven Noels wrote:

> Less structure, more responsibility.

ACK

>> Also, I don't know whether this approach will help smaller communities
>> to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
>> want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many
>> people will still have the overview?
>

> Apart from having all commit privileges to all jakarta projects, I don't
> see why this will necessarily change communities. They don't have to mix
> and merge, they are simply becoming aware that they are part of Jakarta,
> or have to go top-level.
>
> Increasing awareness of what Jakarta and Xml.Apache really are -
> projects - instead of pretending they are smaller Apaches.

Point taken & agree.

Getting back to the original question however, it felt like Ted (as XML
PMC member) came to ask us what this XML project needs to be, i.e. what
the XML PMC should take care off. If everyone leaves and becomes a
toplevel project (which I don't believe will happen), what will happen
to the XML project then?

I'll think some more about that.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org