xml-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:02:31 GMT

Steven Noels wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> I understand your point that a single PMC overlooking a lot of
>>> scattered projects doesn't scale. Still, I believe some of these
>>> smallish subprojects can share a common spirit, without sharing the
>>> developers community. Merging all of these will make them less
>>> visible to the outside world IMHO - meaning developers can meet,
>>> merge or exchange, but to prospective users it will all be one big
>>> sinkhole.
>>

>> IIUC this is to gently nudge them to go top-level with their own PMC.
>> If they want visibility, they need take also the responsibilities.
>

> I agree this is a good solution for the large projects with an active
> community (e.g. Cocoon in the xml.a.o case). Still, I'm not sure whether
> the board needs this avalanche of toplevel projects, all required to
> post their STATUS once in a while, all present upon meetings, etc etc...
> we'll just move the scalability problem one level up, I fear.

No, we are putting *responsibility* where it belongs.
Top level projects have a chair who is legally representative of Apache,
and should manage themselves. Having the whole Jakarta PMC manage them
is too much. What we want to do is not to shift the management to the
board, but to maki it go to the projects.

Less structure, more responsibility.

> Also, I don't know whether this approach will help smaller communities
> to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
> want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many people
> will still have the overview?

Apart from having all commit privileges to all jakarta projects, I don't
see why this will necessarily change communities. They don't have to mix
and merge, they are simply becoming aware that they are part of Jakarta,
or have to go top-level.

Increasing awareness of what Jakarta and Xml.Apache really are -
projects - instead of pretending they are smaller Apaches.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -